Friday, September 22, 2006

Race for the Cure


Last Sunday the 17th was the annual Race for the Cure here in Portland. I participated in the 5K walk with my Aunt Emma, her friends Suzanne & Karen, and her friend Carmen who is a breast cancer survivor and spent the day at the survivor tent.
We walked through the streets of downtown Portland surrounded by people of all ages who showed up to support finding a cure for breast cancer. Even the dogs were walking in support!
It was a pretty incredible experience walking down Broadway and looking in front of and behind me looking at a sea of people. Those who were survivors wore pink shirts and yet so many more people had pictures of loved ones who battled this disease and lost. The fact that almost 50,000 people participated in this activity was almost unbelievable seeing as how Prosser - my hometown - is only about 5,000 in population. Can you imagine the town of Prosser times 10! Wow!
Here are a few pictures of our walk. In the group picture it is: Emma, Suzanna, Carmen, Karen, and Carla. We certainly had a fun time that day and I hope this isn't the last Race for the Cure I participate in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here it goes again maybe this time I will be able to leave you a comment. First of all can you define Meme? I think that this is neat that you can leave something on the internet and someone else can then answer it and leave something for you to read.

Anonymous said...

The last comment was from your DAD who is anony mouse and probably will stay that way as I don't like all of this registration that one has to go through just to leave a message.

Bird said...

Wow, what a neat experience! I am glad that you got to walk for the cure. Did you have to raise any support?

Powered By Blogger