Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Anger Management

I came into contact with the absolute angriest hotel guest I had ever encountered today. He was so angry that he just wanted to vent and yell, not necessarily even be helped.
Quick synopsis: We had a three rooms reserved under his name. Two rooms checked in the day before him and someone accidentally changed the name on his reservation to his friend's name. First mistake. So last night this guy comes to check in pretty late and the night auditor says, "I'm sorry, we don't have your name in our system." So the guy apparently started yelling and cussing and left to find another place to stay.
This morning he comes back demanding to speak to the manager. I asked him who he was so I could let the manager know. All he did was literally throw his reservation confirmation e-mail at me and said, "It's about this reservation." I immediately knew who he was. Well, the manager came out and told him it was our fault but by this time I think he was beyond help.
He yelled, "Give me that paper, this is going straight to corporate, I'm sick of this!" and left!
WHOA! Time out!
Understandably this guys was upset and had a right to be. We thought we didn't have his room (why he didn't give his confirmation number to the night auditor, I don't know) and he had no place to stay. But why ask for the manager if all you want to do is threaten and yell. People seem to have the impression that excessive anger will get you better treatment. And it usually will get you what you want but at a price. If this guy had calmly last night prodded a little more, we might have found his room and the whole situation could have been resolved. But he chose to blow up instead and earn himself a name around our hotel.
Unfortunately he's going to go into history as a "bad guest". And it wasn't even his fault!

2 comments:

Bird said...

Do you ever "fire" guests? Sometimes we have to fire clients, and it works pretty well.

Speaking of anger management, there was a story last week in MN. It's kinda long, so here's a link. http://www.ksfy.com/weather/16137632.html
Scary!

Matt Mikalatos said...

I didn't even know there was a bad guest history. How does that work?

Powered By Blogger