Monday, October 10, 2011

Cake Decorating

I started a cake decorating class tonight with two friends. We are taking it at Michael's and although this is only the first week of class I already have some strong opinions about the class and how it will go as the weeks progress (it's only 4 weeks).

1. I am a perfectionist - therefore I cramped my hand trying to make my frosting stars look perfect and uniform in size! Practice, practice, practice.

2. Can you say expensive? The only thing provided is our lesson book - we buy the decorating kit (makes sense), pay for the class and provide all of our ingredients - which includes making the frosting and all the cakes plus miscellaneous supplies. The list for next week is half a page long!

3. FUN! It is really fun. Tonight we just practiced using different icing tips to see what they did and how to control our hand movements. By the end I was ready to learn how to make shapes and write better.

Here is a picture of my practice cookies from this week. I didn't have time to make cookies for practice so I bought pumpkin ones. They look a bit funny with pink & blue frosting but we didn't have orange. I took it on my phone so it is not the greatest quality.

Week 2: A real cake to decorate! (which I have to make by the way)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So fun! I've always wanted to do that. I can't wait to see how your cake turns out. :-)

Powered By Blogger