Friday, February 16, 2007

The Ups and Downs of Automation

I am moving accross town next week. And one pain, sort of, that comes along with moving is changing your address to make sure you get all your snail mail. I had to call about 6 companies and actually, most of the address changes could be done online. Thank you to WAMU, Sallie Mae, and CCC for that easy process!

The other companies required me calling because I didn't want to go through the hassle of signing up online when I wasn't already and thought it would be easier just to call.

So here is one example of my conversation with the automated teller man:

Automated Man: Thank you for calling (company name). Please select from the following menu options to help us better serve you. (goes through options, like 5)

Carla: Enters option selection

Automated Man: Thank you for choosing option 2. Please select from the following menu options to help us better serve you.

Carla: Enters option selection

Automated Man: Thank you for choosing option 3. Please enter your accout number.

Carla: Enters account number.

Automated Man: Thank you. Please enter your SSN to help us verify your identity.

Carla: Enters SSN.

Automated Man: Please enter your SSN to help us verify your identity.

Carla: Enters SSN.

Automated Man: Please enter your SSN to help us verify your identity.

Carla: Enters SSN. (begins to worry it's being passed off to 3 other people because I had to enter it three times already).

Automated Man: Please enter your SSN to help us verify your identity. If you are not sure, please press 1 to speak to an associate.

Carla: Well I'm sure I'm entering it, but you're not sure you are receiving it so I'll press 1 and hope the associate isn't ticked off at me for not following the directions. (Because they have been before).

Wait a few minutes on hold.......while they inform me that online banking is SO much easier. What is this a guilt trip for calling???

Associate: Hi.Mynameisosandso,thankyousomuchforcallingsoandsocompanyIhopeyouarehavingawonderful daywhoamIspeakingtopleasesoIcanpullupyourinformation?

Carla: Huh? How'd she get so much out without taking a breath??

After a few more minutes I finally got my address changed and it was a piece of cake but seriously how much more complicated can you get? Wouldn't it be easier just to talk to a real person in the first place? Maybe technology isn't all it's cracked up to be in this case.

1 comment:

Bird said...

I agree! I spent 15 minutes on hold with the IRS trying to e-file our taxes, only to have them tell me it was the Social Security Administration's fault (and I'm positive it's not).
Just wait 'til you get to change your name with the government--such joy you haven't known until you try it!! :)
It is frustrating though, I can totally concur! Wanna talk sometime soon?!

Powered By Blogger