Sunday, May 18, 2008

Opportunities

So last night I was sitting at home in the evening, relaxing after a stressful day of work and flipping through TV channels when I came across Evan Almighty.

I thought Bruce Almighty was pretty good so I decided to give Evan a try. I thought the movie was pretty good except they could have cut 10 minutes out with the Ark going on an adventure down a waterfall and through rapids - I'm sure all those people on the ark came out perfectly dry and hung on just fine....

But one line of the movie really struck me and stuck with me. "God" otherwise known as Morgan Freeman is talking to Evan's wife who has left him once he did not give up on building the Ark. In the beginning of the movie, she has prayed that their family would be close together and here they are seperated.

Morgan says to her - "Do you think when people pray for patience, God gives them patience or the opportunity to be patient? Do you think when people pray for courage, God gives them courage or the opportunity to be courageous?"

Basically saying, she has an opportunity to bring their family closer together by supporting her husband.

Although it was a secular movie, that line really struck me as truth. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how I have been asking God for wisdom lately in making decisions. But what I haven't realized it that he really has given me opportunities to be wise - by praying and asking his counsel, asking the counsel of others, and then trusting that my decision is the right one and not doubting myself.

Case in point, looking for an apartment. An offer was given to us of an apartment at the complex where we would LOVE to live in Tri-Cities. But we weren't sure it because it was more expensive then we thought and smaller then the one we wanted (but came with a garage.) The more we talked to each other and other people about it, the more we decided we should not just take it because we like the complex but that we should wait - whatever that meant - and see what happened.

So today, Chris called and said the apartment has the style and right-priced apartment we want - available in June. YEAH! We are so excited that God has proved his faithfulness and gave us an opportunity to be wise.

1 comment:

jennifermorser said...

Hey Carla! this is really encouraging - both what God is teaching you about wisdom and Him giving you an apartment. The thoughts you shared are displaying wisdom in and of themselves.

Powered By Blogger