Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Applesauce Adventure

This last Friday I decided to be domestic! I loaded up my car with apples, finally found some canning jars, and made my way to my mother-in-laws house to embark upon an applesauce adventure.
It was quite fun and lots of work! We got sticky peeling, coring, and slicing apples and then once they were cooked down we had to strain them all through a food mill which took the longest time!
Once that part was done, add some sugar, put the mixture into hot jars, put the jars in the canning kettle and wait for it to boil.
The nicest sound was the jars sealing once they came out of the canning kettle. I was proud that we got 7 pints out of a 6 pint recipe. Next year maybe we'll go for 12! :)

2 comments:

Bird said...

Good for you! Looks like great sauce! My mom said that she has extra jars, the next time you go looking for some. Also, I've found that a food mill with a handle crank goes much, much faster. Glad it turned out ok for you! :)

Holli said...

Hi, I found your blog through a mutual love of the Lord. I think it is awesome to be able to make fun memories with your mother in law. Enjoy the applesauce.
Always,
Holli

Powered By Blogger